If you’ve ever lost or broken your car key, you know the panic that sets in. You may think you’re out of luck and have to call a tow truck or locksmith to get your car started again. But with some of your patience and effort, you can actually remove the ignition lock cylinder yourself without a key. It’s not as complicated and challenging as it sounds – follows these simple steps, and you’ll be on your way.
What is an Ignition Lock Cylinder, and How Does it Work?
An ignition lock cylinder is a crucial component in your car’s ignition system. It is responsible for connecting the ignition switch to the starter motor, which allows your vehicle to start. The ignition lock cylinder contains a series of tumblers that must be aligned in the correct order before the engine will start.
Over time, the tumblers can become worn or damaged, which can prevent the ignition lock cylinder from working correctly. If your ignition lock cylinder is not working properly, it is essential to have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Otherwise, your car may not be able to start.
Symptoms of a Faulty Ignition Lock Cylinder
There are several symptoms of a faulty ignition lock cylinder; one of those is a car that won’t start. If you insert and turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens, the ignition lock cylinder is likely the problem.
Other symptoms of a faulty ignition lock cylinder can include the key getting stuck in the ignition or the engine stalling while driving. If you are experiencing these car problems, it is vital to have your vehicle inspected by professional technicians. They can diagnose the issue and give recommendations for the best course of action.
Tools Needed in Removing an Ignition Lock Cylinder Without a Key
If you need to remove an ignition lock cylinder without a key, there are a few tools that you will need.
- First, you will need a drill. You will also need a small drill bit and a large drill bit.
- Next, you will need a screwdriver.
- Finally, you will need a hammer.
Step by Step Procedures
- Start by opening the door of your car. Then, locate the screws that hold the ignition switch in place.
- Once you have found the screws, remove them with a screwdriver.
- Next, use a drill to make a hole in the center of the ignition switch.
- Be careful not to make the hole too big. You just want it to be big enough to fit the large drill bit through.
- Once you have made the hole, insert the large drill bit and drill out the center of the ignition switch.
- Now, insert the small drill bit into the hole you just made.
- Drill into the tumbler until you feel it loosen.
- Once the tumbler is loose, remove it with a screwdriver.
- Just simply repeat the process for each of the remaining tumblers.
- Once all of the tumblers have been removed, you should be able to pull the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch.
- If the ignition lock cylinder is still stuck, you can use a hammer to tap it until it comes loose gently.
- Once the ignition lock cylinder has been removed, you can put a new one in its place or have a professional do it for you.
Removing an ignition lock cylinder without a key can be done with the right tools and patience. Plus, add a little bit of effort; you can remove the ignition lock cylinder and get your car up and running again. For more information on ignition lock cylinders or other car parts, check out Absolute Locksmith!
How Absolute Locksmith Works
Ignition lock cylinders can fail to work for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is simply that the key has been lost or stolen. In this case, the ignition lock cylinder will need to be removed so that a new one can be installed in its place.
Another common reason for an ignition lock cylinder to fail is because it has become damaged. This can happen if the key is inserted incorrectly into the ignition lock cylinder or if it is forced to turn when the key is not in it. The entire ignition lock cylinder must be replaced if the damage is severe enough.
If you need to remove an ignition lock cylinder, the first thing you will need to do is call a locksmith. A locksmith will have the tools and experience necessary to remove the ignition lock cylinder without damaging it. They will also be able to install a new ignition lock cylinder if one is needed.
If you try to remove an ignition lock cylinder on your own, you risk damaging it beyond repair. This will not only make it more difficult to remove in the future, but it could also cause your car to malfunction. It is always best to leave and trust this job to a professional locksmith.
Absolute Locksmith is a professional locksmith company specializing in removing ignition lock cylinders. We have the most suitable tools and experience necessary to remove your ignition lock cylinder without damaging it. We can also install a new ignition lock cylinder if one is needed.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to remove an ignition lock cylinder, call Absolute Locksmith today. We will be happy to help you remove the ignition lock cylinder and get your car back on the road.
We also operate a sweeping range of locksmith services in Santa Ana, CA, from key duplication to lock installation and repair. No matter your needs, our team of experienced locksmiths can assist you. Contact Locksmith Santa Ana CA today to schedule a consultation.